On September 26 the Missoula, Montana City Council passed an ordinance that will require all residents buying a gun within city limits to pass the same background check the Orlando Pulse attacker passed.
It is also the same background check the NY bombing suspect, the San Bernardino attackers, the Aurora movie theater gunman, and Gabby Giffords’ attacker passed. But Moms Demand Action assured the council that passing the requirement would make everyone safer.
Those who violate the background check requirement can face jail time on a second offense.
According KPAX, the City Council passed the gun control measure by an 8-4 vote before a packed house. Attendees in support of the measure “were largely represented by the local Moms Demand Action chapter.” Chapter leader Nancy de Pastino said, “Please don’t tell me that going through a background check is too great a burden to bear, or too difficult of a vote for you to take. It is the smallest inconvenience, really, considering the consequences of putting guns in dangerous hands.”
Moms Demand did not mention the fact that the vast majority of all high profile public attackers and alleged attackers acquire their guns via background checks. These include, but are not limited to:
- the Houston gunman (September 26)
- the UCLA gunman (June 1)
- the Colorado Springs attacker (October 31, 2015)
- the Umpqua Community College attacker (October 1, 2015)
- Alison Parker’s attacker (August 26, 2015)
- the Lafayette movie theater attacker (July 23, 2015)
- the Chattanooga attacker (July 16, 2015)
- the alleged Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal attacker (Jun 17, 2015)
- the Muhammad Carton Contest attackers (May 3, 2014)
- the Las Vegas cop killers (June 9, 2015)
- the Santa Barbara attacker (May 23, 2014)
- the Fort Hood attacker (April 2, 2014)
- the Arapahoe High School attacker (December 13, 2013)
- the D.C. Navy Yard attacker (September 16, 2013)
- the Aurora movie theater attacker (July 20, 2012)
- Gabby Giffords’s attacker (January 8, 2011)
- the Fort Hood attacker (November 5, 2009)
- the Virginia Tech attacker (April 16, 2007)
- the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle attacker (July 28, 2016)
The ordinance is expected to be challenged in court.
AWR Hawkins is the Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at email@example.com.