Congressional Black Caucus Wants Sheila Jackson Lee for DHS Secretary
The Congressional Black Caucus has suggested that Barack Obama replace the outgoing Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, with a woman who may be the least qualified person ever to be suggested for a nationally important post: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee.
CBC Chairwoman Rep. Marcia Fudge, an Ohio Democrat, wrote Obama on July 25 to suggest Lee’s selection. She said, “Representative Jackson Lee would serve as an effective DHS Secretary because she understands the importance of increasing border security and maintaining homeland security. As Chairwoman, Representative Jackson Lee supported increased airplane cargo inspections and increased security for railroads, issues of great importance to the security of this nation and its citizens.."
The CBC said that Lee’s current position as Ranking Member of the Homeland Security Subcommittee on Border and Maritime Security, shows her as a strong and honest “voice of reason.”
Let’s take a look at this voice of reason and run through a partial list of her accomplishments.
- She once visited JPL and asked if the Mars Rover would be able to show “the flag the astronauts planted there before.” Mars, not the moon.
- Among things Lee has denounced as racist are hurricanes, a Pepsi commercial, a balanced budget and secret service agents. (She said in 2003 that hurricane names were too “lily-white.” She wanted names like “Keisha, Jamal and Deshawn.”)
- In 2010, she was trying to call the Tea Party racist during an NAACP gathering, but forgot the word for “sheets,” and was reduced to vilify Tea Party members for being clad in “uh, clothing with a name.”
- She invited Bashar Assad to speak in Texas in 2003, even though Syria was designated by the United States as a rogue state and a sponsor of terrorism.
- She called for F-16 parts sales to Hugo Chavez.
- She called for an end to economic sanctions against Saddam
- She was part of an event conducted by an Iranian regime front group against military action on Iran.
Now there’s a perfect choice to head our national security.