Florida CEO on Dropping 300,000 From Insurance: 'We're Not Cutting, We're Transitioning'
Appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press, CEO of Florida Blue Patrick Geraghty said that his company, which sent insurance cancellations to some 300,000 Floridians this month, was not actually cancelling insurance. Instead, he said, this was a mere transition.
“We’re not cutting people,” said Geraghty, “we’re actually transitioning people. What we’ve been doing is informing folks that their plan doesn’t meet the test of the essential health benefits; therefore, they have a choice of many options that we make available through the exchange. And, in fact, with subsidy, many people will be getting better plans at a lesser cost. This really is a transition. In fact, the 300,000 figure is the entire year. So it’s really 40,000 people for January 1, and we’re walking them through that transition.”
Geraghty refused to answer questions on whether Floridians would face higher insurance premiums thanks to Obamacare. He also refused to explain whether the Obama administration had been warned by the insurance industry about Obamacare failures.
Geraghty said: “We’re not looking backwards. I think it really is about how do we move forward and solve this? We serve millions of people across the state of Florida. It would be a distraction for me to spend my time looking backwards. I spend my time figuring out, how do we serve the people in Florida that were trying to bring most education about their options so they can help their families?”