22 Kathleen Sebelius Moments from Her Stormy Career at HHS
Health and Human Service Secretary Kathleen Sebelius is resigning today after a controversial tenure in the Obama administration. Here are some of the biggest defining moments from her career:
1. Sept. 2009: Sebelius lectures NBC’s Chuck Todd for sneezing the wrong way
"I mean what is that about? Jeez, who's got some Purell? Give that to Mr. Todd right away. We'll have Elmo give Chuck a special briefing."
2. February 25, 2012: Sebelius violates the Hatch Act by campaigning for Democrats “in an official capacity."
"We make sure that in November he continues to be president for another four years,” she said about President Obama during a speech at a Human Rights Campaign Gala.
3. March 2012: When she pointed out that contraception paid for itself by a reduction in pregnancies.
“The reduction in the number of pregnancies compensates for the cost of contraception,” HHS Kathleen Sebelius said.
4. June 2013: Sebelius caught asking health insurance companies to donate money to promote Obamacare
5. June 2013: When the Associated Press found out that she had a secret email address.
Not sure if KGS2@hhs.gov is still working...
6. August 2013: When Sebelius insisted that the political debate on Obamacare is over
“While it may seem that this is still a political debate, the debate is really over,” she said.
7. August 23, 2013: When she recommended passing immigration reform to boost Obamacare enrollment
"Well, the (Obamacare) bill is crafted in such a way that those who are undocumented will not have access to the tax credits or shopping in the (health insurance) marketplace. That has been limited, which is, frankly, why -- another very keen reason why we need comprehensive immigration reform."
8. Sep. 30, 2013: Sebelius trumpets historic legacy a day before the disastrous launch of the Obamacare website.
"We're about to make some history, and I think some very positive history for lots of families in the country."
9. October 7: Jon Stewart destroys Sebelius in a interview
“But if I’m an individual that doesn’t want it, it would be hard for me to look at big business getting a waiver and not having to do it and me having to because I would think, ‘Gee, it looks like because I don’t have a lobbying group,’ ” Stewart said.
10. October 18: When she tried to avoid Congressional testimony on Obamacare in front of Congress
But still had time to go to a gala in Boston
11. October 23, 2013: When she said that the Obamacare website was only for “tech savvy” Americans
“We anticipated at the outset that everyone would never use the website.”
12. October 27: Saturday Night Live destroys Sebelius with a skit mocking the failed website launch.
"For example, have you tried restarting your computer? Sometimes it helps to turn the computer off, and then turn it back on. We don't know why, it just does."
13. October 30: When the website crashed during a Congressional Hearing about problems with the website
14. When she tried to explain that the Obamacare website never really crashed
15. When she muttered, "Don't do this to me" as a Democratic Congressman began to ask her questions about Obamacare.
16. When she falsely claimed she couldn’t join Obamacare because of employer coverage
If she really wanted to - she could.
17. November 2013: When the Obamacare website crashed in front of her during an event in Florida
18. When a Republican lawmaker gave her a "Website for Dummies" book
19. December 2013: Sebelius admits that some people will pay more for their health insurance under Obamacare
"There are some individuals who may be looking at increases.”
20. March 2014: When she had no response after a local reporter tells her that Obamacare is unpopular
"Alright, Secretary Sebelius, thank you so much for being with us this morning. I think we've probably lost sound here or something."
21. March 31: The Week Before Resigning, Kathleen Sebelius Said She Was 'Absolutely' Sticking Around
22. April 10, 2014: When the news broke that Secretary of State Kathleen Sebelius would resign