Director Michael Moore has a new movie coming soon - "Capitalism: A Love Story
It could only mean one thing - OK, many, many things:
- Rave reviews from at least 80 percent of film critics. And I'm being conservative.
- More press coverage than any documentary filmmaker could ever dream of.
- Few, if any, labels associated with him in the press. Liberal? Nah, he's a muckraker, an iconoclast, a rebel, a truth teller...
- Oscar buzz aplenty. Feel badly for any other documentary filmmaker who did great work this year. Chances are you won't be taking home the Oscar for your troubles. Better luck next year.
- More softball questions thrown his way by alleged journalists - this time, Oprah herself will get in on the action.
Moore, who won the Best Documentary Oscar for "Bowling for Columbine" and gave us the factually challenged "Fahrenheit 9/11," has helped shape the film industry for better and worse.
He's single handedly given the documentary genre more exposure than it's ever had. And his films, even if they make a conservative's teeth hurt, are often entertaining.
Too bad the press in toto will roll over and play publicist for Moore once more.