This weekend's box office will be fun since there is no clear favorite to win. Our predicted box-office and revenue rankings for the weekend goes as follows:
2. Contagion ($11.3 million)
– Film will be knocked down to a runner-up position and will need smaller drops than this in the future if its to become profitable after you add in full marketing/production costs.
3. Drive ($9.7 million)
– Has some buzz from the festival circuit and will get the action audience. Problem is that the marketing makes it feel very Transporter-
like, while early reviews indicate the film is actually more complex. As Sensei has often said: any type of misleading marketing
for example) leads to lower than expected openings.
4. I Don't Know How She Does It ($8.1 million)
– Will bring in some of Sarah Jessica Parker's Sex and the City
audience. It's from the Weinsteins, though, who've already recently mishandled Our Idiot Brother
and Apollo 18.
Both quickly underwhelmed audiences, so don't expect anything different from this one.
5. Straw Dogs ($7.2 million)
– This feels "old hat" with the similar home invasion vein seen in The Strangers
mixed with an attempt to achieve the "remake" success of 2009's Last House on the Left
. This genre and concept feel stale and The Help
could very easily rise up and take this spot.
All our best.