Box Office Predictions: 'Mission' Continues, Sensei Ends Year with Streak Intact
Sensei did very well on predictions last week. He now currently holds a six-week streak calling the correct #1 film, the longest in the nation.
This week in box office business is always an interesting one. You'll find small drops and even increases in a film's box office compared to the previous week. Rarely do weekends like these happen during the box office year.
This weekend's predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol ($28 million) - With no new major releases this week, it all comes down to who can hold their audience the best. This one has the full inside track with its high screen count as well as high audience ratings to fuel word of mouth.
[youtube QteCmX15Olo nolink]
2. Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows ($19 million) - The film long thought to be dominating the box office right now will again have to settle for the runner-up position.
[youtube lNxhpNpnAkk nolink]
3. War Horse ($17.3 million) - A very good opening last week. Spielberg's latest film will continue to fuel a run off Oscar buzz and drama audiences seeking something different.
[youtube xRf3SfeMRD4 nolink]
4. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked ($15.9 million) - This will be the last significant boost the film receives from kids and younger audiences. It's far behind "Chipmunks 2"'s box office gross and will struggle significantly as we enter the new year.
[youtube AWFM2jRbz8M nolink]
5. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ($14 million) - The film's sub-par opening last week leads to low numbers again this week. It will lose a significant fraction of the adult audience to "War Horse" to add to its woes.
[youtube hrFgnizJ7qY nolink]
In Other News:
Matt Damon's "We Bought A Zoo" and sci-fi film "The Darkest Hour" will again struggle and not make the top five. Despite similar timing, "New Year's Eve" will receive a small boost but will also miss the top five altogether.
Happy New Year, everyone. Remember to get in those resolutions.