Box Office Predictions: 'The Lorax' Will Out-Green 'Project X'
Commentators here gave "Act Of Valor" high praise last week, and it did take the top weekend box office spot. Very refreshing to see a film surprise so many in Hollywood with positive success.
Turns out Sensei's prediction of $22 million for "Valor" turned out to be closer than many thought. Amazing considering how most in Hollywood had the film opening to only mid-teens. Many commentators last week also deserve credit for predicting the film to go past that.
This weekend, the environmentally conscious new film "The Lorax" looks to stop the hard-partying "Project X." This weekend''s predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. Dr. Seuss' The Lorax ($42 Million) - Film has great timing with family audiences, who so far have only have had "Journey 2" to run with. Tough to bet against Dr. Seuss, especially with such charming marketing. Add another hit to Illumination Entertainment's resume ("Despicable Me").
2. Project X ($16 Million) - Where "Lorax" is charming, "X" looks to be just as sleazy and hyped. Despite being produced by Todd Phillips, who directed "The Hangover," the pedigree involved will still only pull enough interest for a slightly higher "Hall Pass"-like opening.
3. Act Of Valor ($13 Million) - Will add to its already impressive opening last week. Film was produced on a $12 million budget. Could this film start a new trend in Hollywood profitability?
4. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island ($7.7Million) - Will lose considerable family audiences to "The Lorax." Nevertheless, will still post a better hold than the rest of the holdovers.
5. Good Deeds ($6.8 Million) - Tyler Perry films usually open higher, and many in the industry were surprised by this film's modest opening. Nevertheless, Perry films usually post a significant second-week drop.
That's Sensei's take. But how do you see it?