Box Office Predictions: 'Stooges' No Match for 'Games'
Last week "American Reunion" busted Sensei's call streak, which ends at five straight weeks. Was anyone successful at challenging Sensei's call? Commentator Sean34 did note the following:
My prediction is that 'The Hunger Games' ($32M) will beat 'American Reunion' ($27M).
Nice call. Never easy to beat the Sensei. "Hunger Games" takes on newcomers again to try and pull the rare Hollywood "four-peat" atop the box office.
This weekend's predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. The Hunger Games ($20 Million) - Film continues to feel fresh and engaging as a blockbuster. That will allow more than enough separation to beat this week's new releases.
2. The Cabin In The Woods ($14 Million) - The long delayed film does have very positive buzz with its core audience, but the genre's offerings remain limited this time of year. Look for a slightly better "Insidious"-like opening.
3. The Three Stooges: The Movie ($12 Million) - Celebrating Hollywood's past is never a bad thing, and the film's PG rating was smart to help draw in larger audiences. The problem here, though, is the overall lack of awareness and very weak marketing. Look for sub-par results at best.
4. American Reunion ($11.8 Million) - Last week's lower than expected opening sadly showed a franchise that could be all but played out in its current form. The film now turns its hope to word of mouth to try to recover. That won't be easy considering the film's lukewarm reception with audiences to begin with.
5. Titanic 3D ($10.7 Million) - No worries on this one. Audiences have reacted very positively to having this back in theaters, and the re-release will continue to post solid numbers. Film will remain in the box office top ten for a few more weeks.
In other calls:
Look for the sci-fi film "Lockout" to finish around $7 million this weekend.
That's how this weekend shapes out. Does Sensei have it right?