Sensei again posted close predictions last week (especially at the top). The one that beat the field was "The Three Stooges" which many here commented they were drawn in to see.
This weekend's predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. The Lucky One ($25 Million) - Nicolas Sparks-based projects have shown to be streak breakers. "Avatar" lost its streak at the top to "Dear John" back in 2010. "Hunger Games" faces a similar fate. "The Lucky One's" rush of female audiences will claim this weekend.
2. Think Like A Man ($22 Million) - Film has shown to have vast appeal for its target audience (mainly males), but losing much of the date crowd to 'The Lucky One" will hold back a weekend win. Nevertheless, a very strong opening.
3. The Hunger Games ($12.5 Million) - Film will easily pass the $350 million domestic mark, and has hardly passed the final gross of every film in the "Twilight" franchise. Quite the accomplishment.
4. The Cabin In The Woods ($9.4 Million) - Positive word of mouth will kick in to give this one a higher than expected finish. That, and an infusion from action audiences who don't exactly look to Nicholas Sparks films when making their weekend selections.
5. The Three Stooges ($9 Million) - Family audiences will look more to the other new release "Chimpanzee," leaving this one with a much diminished audience to work with. Look for quite a drop off last weekend's opening.
#. Chimpanzee ($7 Million) - Being a documentary, this one will rely heavily of word of mouth to see if it can hit a "March Of The Penguins"-like stride. Film will open much like Disney's "Oceans" did in 2010, but easily could go higher.
That's the weekend according to Sensei. Any thoughts?