This time around, the box office hopes to capitalize on the Father's
Day frame with a mixture of Adam Sandler and feel good nostalgia.
Weekend predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" ($32 million) - Really it could just be
the lack of competition. Nevertheless, look for the Summer's first
repeat champion since "The Avengers."
2. "That's My Boy" ($25 million) - Film will open in the
"Jack and Jill" range and will provide some more comedy competition
this Father's Day. Still, definitely not the higher results we were
used to seeing from Adam Sandler films.
3. "Prometheus" ($22 million) - Expect quite a drop here
since word of mouth is lukewarm at best. Overall, not the result the
studio was hoping for in the second week.
4. "Rock Of Ages" ($20.7 million) - The feel good quality
here is encouraging, and the film is unique enough to grab attention.
Unfortunately, this rock anthem musical lacks momentum because of its
shoe-string marketing. If not careful, it could easily open in the
"Footloose" range (mid teens).
5. "Snow White and the Huntsman" ($11 million) - In light
of this film's $170 million production budget, film will need to
sustain itself for quite some time to become profitable. Studio will be
watching this one very careful in light of their expensive
#. "The Avengers" ($5.8 million) - Film may be falling out
of the top five, but will easily be comforted by breaking the $580
million domestic mark. Quite amazing.
Happy Father's Day everyone.