Box Office Predictions: 'Expendables' to Exterminate 'Legacy,' 'Campaign'
Last weekend saw films do slightly better than predicted. This time around it's two words: Chuck. Norris.
This weekend's predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. "The Expendables 2" ($42 million) -
Film will easily win the weekend, the only question is how high will it go? The return of Chuck Norris to a major action film gives the
film a huge marketing edge. Look for a very healthy opening here and
onward to "Expendables 3."
2. "The Bourne Legacy" ($17 million) -
The term "massively outgunned" comes to mind. Film will not only lose
most of its target audience to "Expendables," the lukewarm
reaction from action fans will also lead to a huge drop.
3. "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" ($14 million)
- This fun tearjerker could find a comfortable place in the frame, but it still faces stiff competition from "ParaNorman" which is also vying for family
audiences. Film opened on Wednesday so business will be affected across
4. "ParaNorman" ($13.6 million) -
Buzz on the film is very "Coraline"-like, but it will struggle to
reach that high of an opening. Could beat "Timothy" if things fall its
5. "The Campaign" ($13 million) - On the
subject of big drops, this film does not have very high positive word
of mouth. I know this won't shock Big Hollywood readers that its attempts at social commentary didn't work out
too well (box office wise) for the film's stars. Film could easily go
lower than predicted.
In other calls:
Look for "Sparkle" to open around $12 million, and "The Dark Knight Rises" to easily crush the $400 million domestic mark.
That's the word from Sensei.