Box Office Predictions: 'Nemo' Battles 'Evil,' 'Courage' Surprises
This weekend's predictions and revenue results go as follows.
1. "Finding Nemo 3D" ($28 million) - 'Resident Evil:
Retribution' will open strong on Friday, but 'Nemo' will get a
significant boost from family audiences to win the rest of the weekend. Film boasts some of the same appeal that made 'Lion King 3D' a hit - enough time has passed for previous generations to bring in current
ones to enjoy the 3D conversion.
2. "Resident Evil: Retribution" ($22 million) - No
worries. This latest "Evil" entry will open in line with
previous entries and again power ahead one of Hollywood's most
successful franchises. This action film series deserves immense credit
for sticking with its audience and ignoring "political sucker punches,"
and "progressive commentary" we saw so often in previous (and now box
office defunct) industry action films.
3. "The Possession" ($5 million) - Most horror fans will flock to 'Resident Evil,' not leaving this film much to work with.
4. "Lawless" ($3.8 million) - The old school feel serves this film well on such a weekend. Not a bad drop from the previous weekend.
5. "Last Ounce of Courage" ($3.4 million) - Calling the
rise of '2016: Obama's America' was a solid prediction. Look for another
great start for distributor Rocky Mountain Pictures. Despite the low screen count (1,400+ screens), film has perfect
timing in taking advantage of '2016's' established audience.
Flocks of potential new audience members joining the multiplex as
opposed to losing them? Yes, the industry should be paying attention
That's the word from Sensei. Enjoy the weekend.