Sensei's call streak hit twelve weeks last week. Will any new release break out this week?
Sensei's weekend predictions and revenue results go as follows.
1. "The Hobbit" ($45 million) -
Film will easily repeat as the weekend's top movie and will also pass
the $150 million domestic mark in only its second week. Quite impressive.
2. "Jack Reacher" ($14 million) -
Tom Cruise suffered considerable damage as a box office draw when "Rock
Of Ages" flopped earlier this year. Not expecting much better results
here despite the film's intriguing premise. Also, if there's anything
political in this film, look for it to drop like a rock throughout the
3. "This Is 40" ($12 million) -
The Judd Apatow formula is wearing thin with audiences at this point.
That, and how is this a Christmas comedy (like the film's marketing
suggests)? Don't expect very high results here.
4. "Monsters, Inc. 3D" ($10 million) - Film will grab what it can off much diminished 3D demand. Sadly, the whole 3D format just isn't as strong as it used to be.
5. "Rise of the Guardians" ($7 million) - Film
just holds a top five spot. Considering the lack of animated films
opening over Christmas, film could grab some strong numbers during the
In other calls:
Look for Barbra Streisand's "The
Guilt Trip" to flop with only $5 million. Despite its low screen count
(800+ theaters), look for "Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away" to open
respectfully around $2.8 million.
That's Sensei's calls. Do you see any of the new releases opening higher?