Box Office Predictions: '42' and 'Scary Movie 5' Square Off for Year's Closest Race
Sensei extended his call streak to eleven weeks last week. This round, that streak could be in serious jeopardy with such a close race
at the top.
Sensei's weekend predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. "Scary Movie 5" ($19.4 million) -
Another weekend, another surprise call. Conventional wisdom says to
take 42 to win the weekend, but beware, baseball films have never
opened that strong. Even the heavily Oscar buzzed Moneyball
couldn't hit a $20 million opening. Meanwhile, the spoof genre has a
solid history of beating low projections. Based on this, look for A Haunted House/Meet The Spartans-like opening, and a whole lot of head scratching.
2. "42" ($18 million) - Even with solid reviews, hard to ignore the previous openings of baseball films. Still, look for a solid start here.
3. "The Croods" ($14 million) - Will make back its $135 million production budget this week. Looks to continue its run into early Summer.
4. "GI Joe: Retaliation" ($11 million) - Film will break the $100 million domestic mark. Still has some ground to cover to equal the original GI Joe's $150 million domestic haul.
5. "The Evil Dead" ($10.8 million) - Horror films usually post big drops on their second weekends. Look for that to be the case here.
That's Sensei's calls. Feel free to share your weekend's winners.