Michelle Obama Appears on 'Let's Move!'-Themed Rap Album for Schools
Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! Campaign is joining with the Partnership for a Healthier America, the anti-obesity nonprofit organization, and Hip Hop Public Health to produce a 19-track album of hip-hop music designed to be distributed to schools across the nation to encourage children to eat right.
Obama had appeared in a music video with rapper Doug E. Fresh, singer-songwriter Jordin Sparks, and TV’s Dr. Oz in June. That song, "Everybody," will be on the new album, due to be released September 30, which will feature hip-hop performers Monifah, J Rome, Artie Green, and Ryan Beatty. Celebrity guest appearances will include Matisyahu, Blink 182's Travis Barker, and Ashanti.
Let's Move! Executive Director and White House assistant chef Sam Kass stated that a pop-culture approach will more effectively motivate kids to live healthy lives:
Cultural leaders and visionaries in our country can give these messages to kids in a way that's not preachy. Kids are going to be dancing and listening to the music. I think hip-hop in particular – so many kids love hip-hop. It's such a core part of our culture... and particularly in the African-American community and the Latino community which is being disproportionately affected by those health issues.
African-American children are at least 50 percent more likely to be overweight or obese than white children; Hispanic children nearly 30 percent more likely. Half of the songs on the album are planned to be music videos. The plan is to play them during recess or gym classes.
Watch the video for "Everybody" ft. Michelle Obama below:
The full tracklist for the album:
1. “U R What You Eat” (Salad Bar: Matisyahu, Ariana Grande, Travis Barker)
2. “Everybody” (Jordin Sparks, Doug E. Fresh, Dr Oz, Ryan Beatty, Hip Hop MD)
3. “Let’s Move” (Doug E. Fresh, Artie Green, Chauncey Hawkins)
4. “Just Believe” (Ashanti, Gerry Gunn, Artie Green, Robbie Nova)
5. “Veggie Luv” (Monifah and J Rome)
6. “Hip Hop FEET” (DMC and Artie Green)
7. “Stronger” (Shayna Steele, Jeremy Jordan, Our Time Theater kids, and E-Street Band guitarist Nils Lofgren)
8. “Give Myself A Try” (Ryan Beatty)
9. ”Jump Up” (Brady Rymer and the Little band that Could)
10. “Hip Hop LEAN” (Artie Green)
11. “Pass the Rock” (Iman Schumpert and Artie Green)
12. “Good Living” (Ashton Jones)
13. “Beautiful” (Daisy Grant and Artie Green)
14. “Change The Game” (The Happiness Club, featuring Naledge)
15. “Wanna Jump (Let’s Move)” (Paul Burch)
16. “Mother May I” (Amelia Robinson)
17. “We Like Vegetables” (Los Barkers!)
18. “Get Up Sit Up” (Babi Floyd)
19. “One Step Forward” (Samite)