Box Office Predictions: 'Heaven Is for Real' Opens Strong While 'Rio 2' Battles 'Captain America' for Top Spot
Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Rio 2 are set a for a re-match, while other new releases seek to keep pace. Heaven is for Real scores another win for faith-based dramas.
Last week, Sensei was right about Captain America winning a close race with Rio 2. A new week brings new challengers, along with interesting box office implications.
Sensei's weekend predictions and revenue results are as follows:
1. Rio 2 ($25 million)
- Film is following the original Rio's box office pace closely. The sequel carries solid word of mouth, and the holiday weekend will bring quite a boost in family audiences. A good enough combination to take the weekend.
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($23 million) - Wait a minute, another close weekend between this film and Rio 2? Seems so. Rio 2 may have the edge this time, but all sorts of good news awaits the Captain. Film will pass the original domestic gross of the first Captain America ($176 million), and will do so in less than three weeks. Off those Captain orders, no wonder they've already ordered Captain America 3.
3. Transcendence ($17 million)
- Johnny Depp continues to carry some box office weight, so a run at a $20 million opening isn't out the question. Film's concept, unfortunately, has it stuck between being a sci-fi epic or a horror film, not a great sign when chasing a break out start.
4. Heaven is for Real ($12 million)
- This one opened Wednesday and seized the top spot, thus giving faith-based films another box office victory for the year. With a solid five day opening already baked in here (Wed-Sun), film will easily earn back its production budget ($12 million) in just its first week. For a project without big stars, very impressive.
5. A Haunted House 2 ($9.8 million)
- The first Haunted House had great timing to seize on the horror film frenzy (laughing up an $18 million opening). This time around the concept feels tired and rushed though, so look for lower results here.
In Other Calls:
Look for Disney's Bears to post around a $5 million opening, and watch for God's Not Dead to out-earn Noah to jump ahead in the box office standings.
Those are Sensei's calls. Happy Easter.