Box Office Predictions: 'Neighbors' Threatens 'Amazing Spider-Man's' No. 1 Status
Will The Amazing Spider-Man 2 be tripped up by Neighbors?
Last week, Spider-Man's $91.6 million start couldn't match the opening of Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($95 million), thus giving the Captain superhero supremacy.
This week, a potential upset and other films hold firm.
Sensei's weekend predictions and revenue results are as follows:
1. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($45 million)
- Again, fan disappointment became a factor in this sequel's opening. While this project was seen as an improvement from the first Amazing Spider-Man installment, considerable problems remained. Current word of mouth is only "so so." Because of these factors, look for a big drop during the film's second weekend. Film better get what it can--Godzilla looms large next week.
2. Neighbors ($38 million)
- A potential upset brews here. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will post a big drop and momentum continues for Neighbors to take advantage. Film's concept is strong enough to pull the high numbers and take full advantage of its opening date. If this film can climb into a $40+ million opening, the "upset" will definitely be in play.
3. The Other Woman ($8 million) - Quickly and silently this one's becoming quite the sleeper box office hit. Film will break the $60 million domestic mark this weekend.
4. Heaven is for Real ($6 million)
- Yet another strong weekend for this one. All eyes turn to this project as it pursues that all important $100 million domestic mark. Film will challenge the $74 million domestic mark this weekend. Full speed ahead.
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($5.6 million)
- Film will easily break the $240 million domestic mark this weekend. Only The Lego Movie ($253 million) remains ahead of it at this point to lead the 2014 box office year. The Captain should easily pass that mark in coming weeks. So, in brief, when it comes to who's leading the year so far? All hail the Captain.
In other calls:
Look for lower openings from the rest of the field: Moms' Night Out ($5 million) and Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return ($4 million).
Those are Sensei's calls. Have a great weekend.