Box Office Predictions: 'Lucy' Surprises, Summer Crowns Box Office Champ
Are we on the verge of Summer's biggest sleeper hit?
The race to be Summer's top grossing domestic film is also drawing to a close. Maleficent, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and Transformers: Age of Extinction are headed for a photo finish.
Sensei's weekend predictions and revenue results are as follows:
1. Lucy ($34 Million)
- Everything looks good here. Marketing has been solid and director Luc Besson thrives in these kind of projects. Scarlett Johansson also has enough box office strength (thanks to her Avengers appeal) to open a action film on her own. Sensei sees this film as easily the Summer's biggest sleeper hit.
2. Hercules ($24 Million)
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has a solid role here, and Greek Mythology based films have an excellent track record at the box office. The problem is the film's director, Brett Ratner, who can be very polarizing with audiences. Look for a solid, but not great, domestic opening. International sales will easily be stronger.
3. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ($19 Million) - Word of mouth is very solid here, and film will easily pass the domestic gross of the previous Apes franchise entry (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) next week. It won't win the Summer, but a run at the $200 million domestic mark is still very possible.
4. The Purge: Anarchy ($11 Million)
- Film carries an extremely low production budget ($9 million), so a huge drop on its second weekend isn't that threatening. Still, film will struggle to reach the domestic total of the original The Purge ($64 million).
5. Planes: Fire & Rescue ($10 million) -
This sequel opened lower than the original Planes. There are some family audiences to grab this weekend, but will struggle to even recoup its production budget ($50 million) overall.
Checking the Summer box office race:
Both Maleficent and Transformers: Age of Extinction have already passed X-Men: Days of Future Past this week. Transformers will take the lead this weekend and will hence, win the Summer domestic box office crown.
In other calls:
Look for both And So It Goes and The Fluffy Movie to open around the $3 million mark.
That's Sensei's take. Have a great weekend.