The New York Times reports that Steve Coll, a veteran of The Washington Post, will be the next dean of the Columbia Journalism School, the president of Columbia University announced on Monday. Coll was an editor at the Washington Post and a reporter at New Yorker Magazine.
For the past five years, he ran the New America Foundation, a public policy institute that claims to be "non-partisan" and identifies “technology and innovation” as one of its interests. The think tank counts Google Chairman Eric Schmidt as its Chair.
A look at the titles of Mr. Coll's books may be instructive in deciphering the world view of the influential J-School's new dean:
- The Deal of the Century: The Break Up of AT&T
- The Taking of Getty Oil: The Full Story of the Most Spectacular & Catastrophic Takeover of All Time
- Eagle on the Street: Based on the Pulitzer Prize-Winning Account of the SEC's Battle With Wall Street
- On the Grand Trunk Road: A Journey into South Asia
- Ghost Wars : The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan and Bin Laden, from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001
- The Bin Ladens: An Arabian Family in the American Century
- Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power