Mother Jones: Marijuana Causes Global Warming
In an article from Mother Jones, the authors imply that marijuana growing is causing global warming. Watch the way the article moves deliberately to its focus on the environmental dangers of marijuana growing to the climate change climax. The authors write:
1. Of the estimated 22 million pounds of marijuana grown each year in the United states, nearly 80% comes from California, Tennessee, Kentucky, Hawaii, and Washington.
2. In 2013, California authorities seized 329 outdoor grow sites and hauled away: 1.2 million plants,119,000 pounds of trash, 17,000 pounds of fertilizers, 40 gallons of pesticides and 244 propane tanks, 61 car batteries, 89 illegal dams, and 81 miles of irrigation piping.
3. Trespass grows accounted for 72 percent of outdoor plants seized in California in 2013. Nearly half of the cannabis eradicated by law enforcement nationwide was on public or private land.
4. During California’s growing season, outdoor grows consume roughly 60 million gallons of water a day-50 percent more than is used by all the residents of san Francisco.
5. An estimated one-third of America’s pot crop is grown indoors.
6. An indoor grow module accommodating 4 plants sucks as much electricity as 29 refrigerators.
7. In California indoor marijuana grows account for about 9 percent of household electricity use.
8. Nationwide, the electricity used by indoor grows is enough to power 1.7 million homes. That’s equivalent to the output of 7 large power plants.
9. For every pound of pot grown indoors, 4,600 pounds of CO2 goes into the atmosphere.
10. The production and distribution of pot in America emits as much carbon as 3 million cars.
Voila! Global warming!