Piers Morgan Loses CNN Primetime Slot After All Time Low Viewership

British television show host and former editor of the Daily Mirror Piers Morgan is set to lose his coveted CNN primetime television slot after all-time low viewership figures, the New York Times (NYT) reports.

Morgan, who has recently become re-embroiled in Britain's phone-hacking scandal, was told by CNN CEO Jeffrey Zucker, that the plug would be pulled on his 9pm chat show, where Morgan is often known to berate American culture. The NYT reports that Morgan might be given his marching orders as early as next month.

Morgan told the NYT: "It’s been a painful period and lately we have taken a bath in the ratings. Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it".

"That’s run its course and Jeff and I have been talking for some time about different ways of using me.”

Last week, the Breitbart News Network reported that got just 207,000 viewers, against Fox's Megyn Kelly, who received 2.068 million. 

Writing for Breitbart London last week, blogger Alex Wickham reminded readers that evidence was mounting against the CNN host regarding his role in phone hacking in Britain. Wickham wrote

"So far the hacking trial has focused primarily on activity at the News of the World newspaper, though evidence at the Brooks-Coulson trial has also implicated Mirror Group newspapers in alleged criminality.

"However, one Sunday Mirror journalist has already pleaded guilty to phone hacking. It may not be long before CNN are forced to make a difficult decision about the employment of their star host."

CNN has yet to issue an official statement.


advertisement

Breitbart Video Picks

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

Send A Tip

From Our Partners