LPGA Denies Malaria Outbreak Rumor Print article Send a Tip from AFP 2 Mar 2013 post a comment Golf officials denied rumours of a malaria outbreak on the LPGA Tour on Saturday after Natalie Gulbis and Pak Se-Ri pulled out of the HSBC Women's Champions due to illness and staff members also fell sick. Tournament officials said South Korea's Pak had been cleared of malaria, while Gulbis was awaiting test results but attended a function in Singapore on Friday and did not appear to be seriously ill. "Pak Se-Ri withdrew this week due to illness. She does not have malaria, just flu-like symptoms," said a spokesperson for the LPGA Tour. "Natalie Gulbis withdrew from the event on Friday due to illness. She is getting checked in Singapore, but has not been given a diagnosis yet. LPGA officials are in contact with both players." Some of the LPGA's rules officials have also fallen ill but they have not been diagnosed with malaria and were still going about their duties, officials added. Fears of an outbreak swirled after top coach Butch Harmon tweeted that America's Gulbis and Pak, who withdrew on Wednesday and is now back in South Korea, were in hospital in Singapore with malaria. Three players were also involved in a car crash on Sunday in Bangkok, after the Honda LPGA Thailand, which left Paula Creamer and Ai Miyazato with whiplash injuries. Miyazato, a former winner of the Singapore event, was forced to pull out.