Sun Belt Spoiler Takes a Bid from Middle 20; List of 8 Teams Eliminated Sunday
Liberty University was the big winner Sunday, claiming the 46th spots in the tournament. The team that likely took a spot away from the Breitbart Sports Middle 20 was Florida International, who shocked 1-seed and tournament lock Middle Tennessee in the Sun Belt semifinals. That win means Middle Tennessee will likely get a bid IN ADDITION TO the winner of the Western Kentucky-FIU Sun Belt title game Monday will get bid, leaving only nine for the Middle 20. Below are the 10 teams who survived and the eight teams who were eliminated Sunday.
New Lock for NCAA tournament
While Creighton won the Missouri Valley Sunday to help their seed, they were already one of the 45 locks for the tournament. Liberty was not, and by winning the Big South became the 46th lock for the tournament.
- Liberty, BSth, Middle 20 not impacted by upset, Liberty gets bid instead of Charleston Southern with 87-76 win.
10 who survived another day
The following 10 teams that won Sunday to survive for another day can only get into the NCAA tournament if they win their conference tournament. Their team, conference and details on their win and next game are listed (all times are ET).
- College of Charleston, SC, Beat Elon 68-60, will play Davidson for title, bid (Monday 7 pm)
- Davidson, SC, Beat App State 65-62, play Charleston for title (Monday 7 pm)
- Florida International, SB, 4-seed shocked 1-seed and lock Middle Tennessee 61-57, which eliminates a Middle 20 team (plays Western Kentucky Monday 7 pm)
- Iona, MAAC, 4-seed shocked 1-seed Niagra 79-73, will play Manhattan for title, bid (Monday 9 pm)
- IUPU Fort Wayne, Sum, Stayed alive 91-72 over Oakland, plays 1-seed South Dakota St. in semifinal (Monday 7 pm)
- James Madison, CAA, 2-seed beat 3-seed Delaware 58-57, will play 1-seed Northeastern for shot at bid (Monday 7 pm)
- Manhattan, MAAC, 6-seed beat 4-seed Fairfield 60-52, plays Iona for title, bid (Monday 9 pm)
- North Dakota St., Sum, Stayed alive 69-58 over UMKC, plays 2-seed Western Illinois in semifinal (Monday 9:30 pm)
- Northeastern, CAA, Beat GMU 69-67 in semis, plays JMU for title and bid (Monday 7 pm)
- Western Kentucky, SB, 6-seed upset 2-seed Arkansas State 58-56, plays 4-seed FIU for title (Monday 7 pm)
Eight teams eliminated Sunday
The following eight teams who could only make the NCAA lost in their conference tournaments on Sunday.
- Arkansas St., SB, Eliminated 58-56 by Western Kentucky.
- Charleston Southern, BSth, Eliminated by loss to Liberty in title game.
- Delaware, CAA, Favorite lost to JMU 58-57 in semis to be eliminated.
- Fairfield, MAAC, Eliminated 60-42 by Manhattan.
- George Mason, CAA, Eliminated by 69-67 loss to Northeastern in semifinal.
- Missouri Kansas City, Sum, Eliminated 69-58 by N. Dakota State.
- Niagara, MAAC, Eliminated 79-73 by Iona.
- Oakland, Sum, Eliminated 91-72 by IPFW.