Indy 500 Bans Coolers After Boston Attack Print article Send a Tip from AP 24 May 2013 post a comment (AP) Indy 500 security tightened after Boston attack By CHARLES WILSON Associated Press INDIANAPOLIS Indianapolis 500 fans will have to leave their big coolers of beer at home and pay to park in a once-free lot as part of tighter security measures at Sunday's race. Indianapolis Motor Speedway spokesman Doug Boles says the steps are a response to the bombing of last month's Boston Marathon and are designed to control access to the speedway and ensure police know who's at the track. Police will close traffic on a major route into the track Sunday morning. Track security workers will crack down on oversized coolers and force fans who violate approved size limits to take coolers back to their cars before entering. Security expert Lou Marciani says there's pressure on Indianapolis because the race is one of the first major events since the Boston bombing.