Heisman Watch: Leaders Emerging for Trophy
The Heisman race is neck and neck at this point between Marcus Mariota and Johnny Manziel, but Tahj Boyd and Jameis Winston are not too far behind. At this point, Mariota is looking better than ever and the Ducks might be the best team in football. If I had to call a winner it'd be the Oregon signal caller.
1. QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon (Last Week- #1)- Mariota has the Ducks playing better than any team in the country, and he is wracking up dominant performances. His 366 passing yards and 88 rushing yards against a very good Washington team keeps him in the top spot.
2. QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M (Last Week- #4)- Texas A&M did not play this week--- It was another spectacular performance from Manziel in the victory over Ole Miss. Despite the antics, he remains a force in the Heisman race.
3. QB Tahj Boyd, Clemson (Last Week- #2)- In a game that was far closer than it should have been, Boyd is the sole reason the Tigers remain undefeated. Another very strong performance against Boston College.
4. QB Jameis Winston, Florida State (Last Week- #3)- Florida State did not play this week.
5. QB Brett Hundley, UCLA (Last Week- #7)- With Stanford’s loss, the Bruins’ standing got a boost, but it was Hundley’s 410 passing yards against Cal that gave his Heisman credentials the boost they needed. Still, he lags behind his more high profile competitors.
6. RB Bishop Sankey, Washington (Last Week- Unranked)- Sankey’s monster 167 yard performance against Oregon elevates him to the top rusher in the nation.
7. QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville (Last Week- #6)- It is sad when Rutgers is one of the more difficult teams on your schedule, but Bridgewater put in another strong performance. Still, as he inches closer to being the favorite for the #1 pick in the NFL Draft, he is not doing enough to remain viable in the Heisman hunt.
8. QB Bryce Petty, Baylor (Last Week- Unranked)-The Bears have one of the most prolific offenses in the NCAA and Petty is a major reason why. With the meat of the Big 12 schedule left, Petty and Seastrunk have a chance to climb.
9. RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin (Last Week- #9)- The dominant Badgers win over Northwestern was on the legs of Melvin Gordon and his 172 rushing yards
10. RB Lache Seastrunk, Baylor (Last Week- #5)- Although his Bears won, Seastrunk’s 59 yard performance is a major setback in his hopes of even getting an invite to the ceremony.
On the Cusp: QB Derek Carr (Fresno State), QB Bryce Petty (Baylor), RB Ameer Abdullah (Nebraska), QB Zach Mettenberger (LSU), QB Keith Price (Washington), A.J. McCarron (Alabama)
In the Mix: WR Jordan Matthews (Vanderbilt), RB Jeremy Hill (LSU), QB Taylor Kelly (Arizona State), QB Jordan Lynch (Northern Illinois), DE Vic Beasley (Clemson)
Stock Falling: QB Jordan Lynch (Northern Illinois), RB De’Anthony Thomas, RB Alex Collins (Arkansas), RB Todd Gurley (UGA), QB Aaron Murray (UGA), WR Mike Evans (TAMU)