With 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s announcement that he will not pursue the 2016 presidential nomination, the conservative grassroots may be celebrating. They thought of Romney as a political squish, a flip-flopper, the creator of Romneycare and the blunderer of “the 47 percent.”
Matt Drudge posts headlines long before the mainstream media have caught on and shines his traffic spotlight on stories he deems important. That, in turn, drives mainstream news coverage – or, in some cases, as with Obamacare, perhaps not. And that’s the point: the media need Drudge to point them in the right direction, apparently, but Drudge doesn’t need the media to make a story huge.
On Wednesday, the Huffington Post posted an article by self-described journalist Sophia Eribo that was nothing less than an anti-Semitic screed.
Many Republicans tossed softball questions at Lynch throughout her confirmation hearing. Nonetheless, Lynch demurred from answering over and over again, abiding by the new rule that nominees must avoid giving honest answers lest they be held accountable for those answers.
On Monday, Hank Green, one of the YouTube viral video stars chosen to interview President Obama after the State of the Union address, wrote what millions of Americans have said for a week: “Bethany Mota, Glozell Green, and I got an opportunity that a lot of people don’t think we deserved.”
According to the pundits, this weekend’s Iowa Freedom Summit recalibrated the Republican presidential field. The summit, run by archconservative Rep. Steve King (R-IA), drew candidates from across the spectrum – and shook up the widespread perceptions of frontrunners versus also-rans. Here are the weekend’s big winners and losers.
On Thursday, President Barack Obama sat down with YouTube sensation GloZell Green – she of the bathing in Froot Loops and the cinnamon challenge – to discuss issues ranging from SportsCenter (Obama’s favorite pastime) to the “po-po” (GloZell’s terminology). The same day, the White House announced that it would not be hosting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after Netanyahu accepted an invitation from Speaker of the House John Boehner to address a joint session of Congress.
On Tuesday, Republican Senator Joni Ernst, a Tea Party favorite, used her State of the Union response to completely ignore President Obama’s executive amnesty. On Wednesday, Republican Renee Ellmers, a Tea Party favorite, undercut legislation that would have effectively banned late-term abortion after 20 weeks – five months.
On Tuesday, President Barack Obama gave his completely non-awaited State of the Union address.
On Monday, actor Seth Rogen tweeted out his rage over the success of the patriotic Clint Eastwood flick American Sniper, based on the life of Chris Kyle. “American Sniper kind of reminds me of the movie that’s showing in the third act of Inglorious Basterds,” he wrote.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- In new budget, Obama proposing 14 percent tax on overseas profits to fund infrastructure projects1 Feb 2015, 12:15 PM PDT
- Walker, eyeing 2016 White House bid, says he's open to sending US troops to fight ISIS1 Feb 2015, 10:18 AM PDT
- Scott Walker surging in new Iowa poll1 Feb 2015, 9:26 AM PDT
- More states look to expand Medicaid1 Feb 2015, 9:19 AM PDT
- Ayotte presses Obama administration to 'define your enemy,' declare war with Islamic extremism1 Feb 2015, 8:53 AM PDT
Fox News National
- Police find body believed to be of Arkansas nursing student who disappeared 1 Feb 2015, 1:30 PM PDT
- San Francisco experiences driest January on record with no measurable rainfall1 Feb 2015, 1:00 PM PDT
- Texas governor declares Feb. 2 'Chris Kyle Day' 1 Feb 2015, 12:45 PM PDT
- Police bust Zamboni driver for DUI during girls high school hockey game1 Feb 2015, 12:36 PM PDT
- Boyfriend arrested in rape, brutal attack of California girl1 Feb 2015, 12:14 PM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Domingue leads Coyotes over Habs in first NHL start1 Feb 2015, 2:26 PM PDT
- National Hockey League Game Capsules1 Feb 2015, 2:24 PM PDT
- Steen, Blues holds off Caps1 Feb 2015, 2:04 PM PDT
- National Basketball Association Game Capsules1 Feb 2015, 1:48 PM PDT
- Korpikoski scores 2, Domingue wins 1st start, Coyotes end Canadiens' 5-game win streak, 3-21 Feb 2015, 1:39 PM PDT