On Monday, Hank Green, one of the YouTube viral video stars chosen to interview President Obama after the State of the Union address, wrote what millions of Americans have said for a week: “Bethany Mota, Glozell Green, and I got an opportunity that a lot of people don’t think we deserved.”
According to the pundits, this weekend’s Iowa Freedom Summit recalibrated the Republican presidential field. The summit, run by archconservative Rep. Steve King (R-IA), drew candidates from across the spectrum – and shook up the widespread perceptions of frontrunners versus also-rans. Here are the weekend’s big winners and losers.
On Thursday, President Barack Obama sat down with YouTube sensation GloZell Green – she of the bathing in Froot Loops and the cinnamon challenge – to discuss issues ranging from SportsCenter (Obama’s favorite pastime) to the “po-po” (GloZell’s terminology). The same day, the White House announced that it would not be hosting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after Netanyahu accepted an invitation from Speaker of the House John Boehner to address a joint session of Congress.
On Tuesday, Republican Senator Joni Ernst, a Tea Party favorite, used her State of the Union response to completely ignore President Obama’s executive amnesty. On Wednesday, Republican Renee Ellmers, a Tea Party favorite, undercut legislation that would have effectively banned late-term abortion after 20 weeks – five months.
On Tuesday, President Barack Obama gave his completely non-awaited State of the Union address.
On Monday, actor Seth Rogen tweeted out his rage over the success of the patriotic Clint Eastwood flick American Sniper, based on the life of Chris Kyle. “American Sniper kind of reminds me of the movie that’s showing in the third act of Inglorious Basterds,” he wrote.
On Friday, the Supreme Court announced that it would at long last settle the issue of same-sex marriage across the country, answering whether the Constitution of the United States had magically grown a right to marry members of one's own sex.
With Republicans in Congress split over the best approach to President Obama’s executive amnesty – and with many establishment Republicans splitting from grassroots Republicans on the issue of illegal immigration more generally – it’s clear that immigration will be a hot-button primary issue in 2016.
The Charlie Hebdo terrorists didn’t commit an act of terror, go out for a scotch, and then fix on an Islamic excuse. They shouted “Allahu Akhbar” and “we have avenged the prophet Mohammed” between firing rounds at innocent people. So either they were extremely quick thinkers on their feet, or they had an actual settled ideology motivating them to murder innocent people.
On Tuesday, The Huffington Post attempted to spin Islamic radicalism in Europe as a secondary threat to both Europeans and Jews. The primary threat? As their headline put it, “Far-Right Parties On The Rise Across Europe.”
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Boehner confirms lawsuit against Obama, defends Netanyahu invitation28 Jan 2015, 3:49 PM PDT
- Colorado to California: Hands off our water28 Jan 2015, 3:47 PM PDT
- Fox News Poll: 47 percent say Obama downplays threat from Islamic terrorists28 Jan 2015, 3:45 PM PDT
- Washington state Dems reject national education standards known as Common Core28 Jan 2015, 3:15 PM PDT
- Obama calls Hagel a 'true American patriot' at farewell ceremony28 Jan 2015, 2:59 PM PDT
Fox News National
- Officials confirm first sighting of Sierra Nevada red fox in Yosemite in nearly 100 years28 Jan 2015, 4:01 PM PDT
- Pentagon Unveils Program to Help Build 6th Generation Fighter28 Jan 2015, 3:41 PM PDT
- Judge orders state to return tigers, lion hours after they're seized at Ohio animal sanctuary28 Jan 2015, 3:16 PM PDT
- US Coast Guard rescues 2 American boaters stranded on tiny uninhabited island in Bahamas28 Jan 2015, 3:02 PM PDT
- Arkansas education board votes to take over Little Rock School District after poor test scores28 Jan 2015, 3:01 PM PDT
Fox News Sports
- LeBron James out with sprained wrist28 Jan 2015, 5:11 PM PDT
- Lakers' Bryant undergoes season-ending shoulder surgery28 Jan 2015, 4:57 PM PDT
- Three tied for lead at suspended Coates Golf Championship28 Jan 2015, 4:52 PM PDT
- Crosby good to go for Penguins-Caps tilt28 Jan 2015, 4:41 PM PDT
- Blue Jackets place F Morin on IR28 Jan 2015, 4:34 PM PDT