With 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s announcement that he will not pursue the 2016 presidential nomination, the conservative grassroots may be celebrating. They thought of Romney as a political squish, a flip-flopper, the creator of Romneycare and the blunderer of “the 47 percent.”
Matt Drudge posts headlines long before the mainstream media have caught on and shines his traffic spotlight on stories he deems important. That, in turn, drives mainstream news coverage – or, in some cases, as with Obamacare, perhaps not. And that’s the point: the media need Drudge to point them in the right direction, apparently, but Drudge doesn’t need the media to make a story huge.
On Wednesday, the Huffington Post posted an article by self-described journalist Sophia Eribo that was nothing less than an anti-Semitic screed.
Many Republicans tossed softball questions at Lynch throughout her confirmation hearing. Nonetheless, Lynch demurred from answering over and over again, abiding by the new rule that nominees must avoid giving honest answers lest they be held accountable for those answers.
On Monday, Hank Green, one of the YouTube viral video stars chosen to interview President Obama after the State of the Union address, wrote what millions of Americans have said for a week: “Bethany Mota, Glozell Green, and I got an opportunity that a lot of people don’t think we deserved.”
According to the pundits, this weekend’s Iowa Freedom Summit recalibrated the Republican presidential field. The summit, run by archconservative Rep. Steve King (R-IA), drew candidates from across the spectrum – and shook up the widespread perceptions of frontrunners versus also-rans. Here are the weekend’s big winners and losers.
On Thursday, President Barack Obama sat down with YouTube sensation GloZell Green – she of the bathing in Froot Loops and the cinnamon challenge – to discuss issues ranging from SportsCenter (Obama’s favorite pastime) to the “po-po” (GloZell’s terminology). The same day, the White House announced that it would not be hosting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after Netanyahu accepted an invitation from Speaker of the House John Boehner to address a joint session of Congress.
On Tuesday, Republican Senator Joni Ernst, a Tea Party favorite, used her State of the Union response to completely ignore President Obama’s executive amnesty. On Wednesday, Republican Renee Ellmers, a Tea Party favorite, undercut legislation that would have effectively banned late-term abortion after 20 weeks – five months.
On Tuesday, President Barack Obama gave his completely non-awaited State of the Union address.
On Monday, actor Seth Rogen tweeted out his rage over the success of the patriotic Clint Eastwood flick American Sniper, based on the life of Chris Kyle. “American Sniper kind of reminds me of the movie that’s showing in the third act of Inglorious Basterds,” he wrote.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Michelle Obama defends 'American Sniper' at veterans event30 Jan 2015, 6:39 PM PDT
- Juan Williams on Romney’s decision not to run in 2016: “Mitt, your time has passed”30 Jan 2015, 6:14 PM PDT
- ISIS chemical weapons expert killed in airstrike, US officials say30 Jan 2015, 5:55 PM PDT
- 1,000 'criminal aliens' released by ICE committed new crimes, Grassley says30 Jan 2015, 5:22 PM PDT
- Romney exit resets 2016 field, gives boost to Bush30 Jan 2015, 4:11 PM PDT
Fox News National
- Wisconsin team tries to defend national snow sculpting championship in Lake Geneva30 Jan 2015, 4:30 PM PDT
- Brandeis University president step down at end of school year, take job at Yale Law School30 Jan 2015, 4:15 PM PDT
- New York City pharmacist who tried to make ricin, weapons-grade toxins, sentenced to prison30 Jan 2015, 4:00 PM PDT
- Attorney wants mistrial declared in Vanderbilt rape case, says juror did not disclose rape30 Jan 2015, 3:31 PM PDT
- Commission: Consolidate GI Bill Benefits, Delay Transferability30 Jan 2015, 2:47 PM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Hawks top Blazers as win streak reaches 1830 Jan 2015, 8:24 PM PDT
- Motiejunas, Rockets hold off Celtics30 Jan 2015, 8:23 PM PDT
- Cavs beat Kings for 9th straight win30 Jan 2015, 8:12 PM PDT
- National Hockey League Game Capsules30 Jan 2015, 8:09 PM PDT
- Despres gets Pens past Devils in OT30 Jan 2015, 8:08 PM PDT