Skip to content

Another Dem Bites the Dust: Rep. Ortiz Concedes in Texas

From The Brownsville Herald:

U.S. Rep. Solomon P. Ortiz conceded late Monday to Congressman-elect Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-TX).

Noting that the recount of more than 106,000 votes had been completed in the district, Ortiz said: “Therefore, with great respect and admiration in the Democratic process, I congratulate my opponent, Mr. R. Blake Farenthold, in his election to the 27th Congressional District of Texas in the U.S. House of Representatives.”

Cameron County, the last county in the district that includes San Patricio, Nueces, Kleberg, Kenedy, and Willacy counties, concluded its recount Monday, although the results were not available at press time.

“After a careful, tedious and meticulous manual recount in six South Texas counties, each candidate gained a handful of votes,” Ortiz, the Democratic Party incumbent for nearly 28 years, said in a press statement.

“Although I gained votes during the manual recount, I did not surpass my opponent’s lead,” Ortiz said. During the recounts, Farenthold, the Republican challenger, continued his lead over Ortiz by nearly 800 votes.

For his part, Farenthold said that, “it’s a great relief to have the uncertainty gone.”

Farenthold also told The Brownsville Herald that he is “very happy” and that Ortiz had been “very gracious.”

Read the whole thing here.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.