As I sat today and listened to the Michael Berry Show today, I overheard a story that has left me disgusted. Seems the Houston National Cemetery Director has ruled that grieving families cannot use the words “God” or “Jesus” at any funeral ceremony without her approval.
Nik Rajokovic at Houston’s Channel 13 KTRH broke the story here.
This PISSES. ME. OFF.
I can barely get my thoughts together to type this post, but I’m not going to sit by and not speak up for those families who have lost a loved one and are having to now worry about submitting a written request for prayer to someone for approval. Last time I checked, this was the Home of the Brave and Land of the Free. Heads up, Director of the Houston National Cemetery. It still is.
Thanks to the Berry Brigade, here is how YOU can help STOP this disrespectful and unacceptable “requirement” put forth by the Houston National Cemetery Director Arleen Ocasio. How dare she require families to submit their prayers to her in writing for approval?! Oh. And there’s more. And no bibles. And no chapel. Oh wait. The chapel was closed. Read on.
Let your voice be heard! Please call and write and stand for our military and their families in their greatest time of need! Their service and sacrifice is what allows us to do this and all things in freedom today.
Now. Call President Obama’s appointee, Houston National Cemetery Director Arleen Ocasio at 281-447-8686 (extension 206) and tell her this will not be tolerated! The lines are busy, but keep trying.
THANK YOU to Congressman Ted Poe for already calling into the Michael Berry Show personally to support stopping this unacceptable action against religious freedom. He’s confirmed that this Director is in violation of the law and should be fired. AGREED.
**UPDATED** Congressman Poe has written a letter to the Secretary of Veteran Affairs demanding answers. God Bless You Sir!
Please also call the VA in Houston and Washington DC, along with your local Congressman. The phone numbers are listed below:
- Dept. of Veterans Affairs (Houston Office) 713-383-1999
- Dept. of Veterans Affairs (DC Office) 202-373-5400
- Sheila Jackson Lee (Houston Office) 713-655-0050 (DC Office) 202-225-3816
- Ted Poe (Kingwood Office) 281-446-0242 (DC Office) 202-225-6565
- Michael McCaul (Katy Office) 281-398-1247 (DC Office) 202-225-2401
- Kevin Brady (Conroe Office) 936-441-5700 (DC Office) 202-225-4901
- Al Green (Houston Office) 713-383-9234 (DC Office) 202-225-7508
- Gene Green (Baytown Office) 281-420-0502 (DC Office) 202-225-1688
- Pete Olson (Sugarland Office) 281-494-2690 (DC Office) 202-225-5951 (Clear Lake Office) 281-486-1095
- John Culberson (Houston Office) 713-682-8828 (DC Office) 202-225-2571
Be polite. Be firm.