***UPDATE***: Mitt Romney will announce his Vice Presidential running mate Saturday morning at 8:45am ET, August 11th, in Norfolk, Virginia… in front of the USS Wisconsin.
The following signs have emerged that Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI)–chair of the House Budget Committee, and widely respected pro-life fiscal conservative leader–could be announced as Mitt Romney’s choice for Vice President–and sooner rather than later:
1. Ryan has surged on InTrade’s prediction market in the past two days, making him the #1 contender ahead of Ohio Senator Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH).
2. Ryan was on vacation in Colorado this week, (CORRECTION: next week, according to sources) but appeared at a memorial service today near Milwaukee for victims of Sunday’s shootings at a Sikh temple…
3. …and a mysterious charter plane from Boston to Ryan’s hometown of Janesville, WI was reported this afternoon.
4. Breitbart News has learned that one major news network was alerting producers that Romney could announce his choice today…
5. …and Romney is due to begin a bus tour tomorrow that will take him through several swing states–and which is thought to be a chance to showcase his running mate.
6. It is not unprecedented for campaigns to announce the candidate for Vice President on a Friday night. Barack Obama announced Joe Biden as his pick on a late Friday night/early Saturday morning in 2008.
7. Update: Tagg Romney was also in southwestern Wisconsin today–with Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI)–to attend the Sikh memorial ceremony and represent his father.
Of course, Romney could make a different choice, or Ryan could decline. He declined to run for President last fall, and may wish to remained focused on his many duties in the House of Representatives, as well as his campaigns for fiscal conservatives nationwide.