Attorney General Eric Holder missed a deadline on Wednesday to explain his May 15 testimony before Congress in which he may have perjured himself. Holder was testifying then about his role in obtaining phone records from AP reporters.
Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee set a Wednesday deadline, but Holder did not respond, according to Fox News.
As Fox News noted, Holder said he did not know anything about the “potential prosecution” of journalists during his May 15 testimony when discussing the Justice Department’s role in getting phone records of AP reporters. It was then revealed that Holder signed off on the subpoena to obtain the phone and personal email records of Fox News reporter James Rosen.
The Justice Department sent a letter to Republicans on the Committee earlier this week claiming there was no intention to prosecute Rosen.
“The Attorney General’s testimony before the Committee on May 15, 2013, with respect to the Department’s prosecutions of the unauthorized disclosure of classified information was accurate and consistent with these facts,” the letter reportedly said.
It was signed, though, by the “principal deputy assistant attorney general.”
Republicans on the Committee said a letter from Holder’s subordinate did not suffice and indicated they may call Holder again before the Committee to explain his May 15 remarks.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Justice Department asked to prosecute Hamas for Violating US law29 Mar 2015, 11:57 AM PDT
- Potential 2016 candidate O'Malley rips Bush, Clinton, saying presidency 'not some crown' 29 Mar 2015, 10:30 AM PDT
- Pence: Indiana law on religious freedom 'not about discrimination ... not going to change'29 Mar 2015, 8:25 AM PDT
- Fiorina says there's 'higher than 90 percent' chance she’s running in 201629 Mar 2015, 7:40 AM PDT
- Before leak, NSA mulled ending phone program29 Mar 2015, 6:19 AM PDT
Fox News National
- Military planning to spend billions on new Air Force One29 Mar 2015, 12:17 PM PDT
- Authorities: Body found in rubble 3 days after apparent gas explosion in Manhattan29 Mar 2015, 11:38 AM PDT
- Visitors take selfies at NYC building explosion site29 Mar 2015, 11:30 AM PDT
- JetBlue pilot who had midair meltdown suing airline29 Mar 2015, 10:59 AM PDT
- Cyclone roller-coaster stalls in season-opening run at Coney Island29 Mar 2015, 10:39 AM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Harden helps Rockets beat Wizards29 Mar 2015, 12:11 PM PDT
- South Carolina tops Florida State to reach women's Final Four29 Mar 2015, 11:46 AM PDT
- Smith replaces Larson for Martinsville race29 Mar 2015, 11:28 AM PDT
- Ramsay survives wild day, wins Trophee Hassan II29 Mar 2015, 11:07 AM PDT
- Clippers sign Hudson to 10-day contract29 Mar 2015, 10:51 AM PDT