If you are student in the Hempstead Public Schools, you may need some help in learning literacy. The Long Island, N.Y. district released a summer reading list that is replete with more than 30 errors. Some of the more egregious mistakes include:
- F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby is listed as “The Great Gypsy.”
- Authors Emily Bronte and Charlotte Bronte, who wrote Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre respectively, are listed with the last name Bonte.
- Animal Farm author George Orwell is named George Ornell.
- The Chosen author Chaim Potok has the last name Dotok.
- Alice Sebold’s novel The Lovely Bones is listed as “The Lovely Bone.” (Fido, where are you?)
- Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story have their author as listed as Norris Houghton (the publisher).
A member of the New York State Department of Education’s Board of Regents said, “Hempstead has not had a stable administration for a long time and the kids are suffering.”