Embattled Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told Fox News on Tuesday she does not anticipate any more Obamacare delays.
Sebelius’s statement significantly constrains the Obama administration’s ability to engage in the rounds of endless delays it has used in an attempt to circumnavigate the effects of the unpopular law around Democratic elections. Earlier this year, the Obama administration, responding to the pleas of nervous Democratic lawmakers, announced it would delay the controversial employer mandate until after the November 2014 midterm elections.
Republicans and Democrats have called for Sebelius’s ouster in the wake of the Obamacare debacle. A Government Accountability Institute (GAI) report and Politico Magazine article sparked a firestorm when they revealed the White House official calendar and Politico presidential calendar record a single face-to-face meeting between Sebelius and President Barack Obama in the over three-and-a-half years since Obamacare was signed into law. Sebelius said in congressional testimony she and Obama have met “a lot” but has since stonewalled congressional requests to produce a list of meeting dates.
Sebelius told Fox News she is “thrilled we’re going to have millions of people for the first time that have health security, and it should be a great New Year for lots of families across America.”
Six million Americans have lost their health insurance plans due to Obamacare.