The Department of Justice requested $2 million for “gun safety technology” in its 2014 fiscal year budget.
Attorney General Eric Holder explained this request to a House appropriations subcommittee on April 4th.
“I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get passed those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe,” [Holder] said.
By making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon.
It’s those kinds of things that I think we want to try to explore so that we can make sure that people have the ability to enjoy their Second Amendment rights, but at the same time decreasing the misuse of weapons that lead to the kinds of things that we see on a daily basis,” Holder said.
On April 24, 2013, Breitbart News reported that smart gun technology would be part of the coming gun control push. We stressed crucial questions regarding such technology.
For instance, what happens when a gun programmed to fire only when held by the father at a particular home can’t be fired by the wife or 17-year-old son who is home alone when an intruder kicks in the door?
Also, concerning bracelet-to-gun technology, what happens when a thief figures out he or she should steal the bracelet and the gun, rather than just the gun?
Smart gun technology critics have been asking these questions since the issue was first raised during the Clinton presidency. They have yet to be answered.
Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at email@example.com.