President Obama has requested $1.1 billion and the Department of Justice (DOJ) asked for $382.1 million for gun control “to protect Americans from gun violence.”
Included in the DOJ’s $382.1 million figure is a request for $2 million for smart gun technology grants.
According to The Washington Beacon, Obama’s $1.1 billion “[includes] $182 million to support the president’s ‘Now is the Time’ gun safety initiative.”
“Now is the Time” includes the following:
1. Require background checks for all gun sales.
2. Strengthen the background check system for gun sales.
3. Pass a new, stronger ban on assault weapons.
4. Limit ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.
4. Finish the job of getting armor-piercing bullets off the streets
5. Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime
6. End the freeze on gun violence research
7. Make our schools safer with new resource officers and counselors, better emergency response plans, and more nurturing school climates.
8. Ensure quality coverage of mental health treatment, particularly for young people.
As Breitbart News has previously reported, expanded background checks would not have stopped the heinous crime at Sandy Hook Elementary; even Senators Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Joe Manchin (D-WV) admit this.
Moreover, as we reported on April 7th, murder rates were 19.3 percent higher while the federal “assault weapons” ban was in place (1994-2004). Why would we, then, spend over a hundred million dollars instituting another ban?
Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.