UNC Student Newspaper: Campus Carry Could ‘Reinforce Rape Culture’

campus carry
AP/The Tulsa World/James Gibbard

In the most forthright, albeit logic-twisting, argument given against campus carry to date, University of North Carolina’s Daily Tar Heel claims the passage of campus carry could actually “reinforce rape culture.”

How so? The rationale for the claim is that arming women means “the burden to stop sexual assault would be further placed upon women.” And this means that “concealed weapons would be yet another excuse to blame victims for their own assaults.”

The Daily Tar Heel also suggests campus carry is unwise because “guns would not address the causes of sexual assault.”

Does this mean guns should be excluded from women’s self-defense options because guns are a solution rather than an examination of the problem?

It seems that is exactly what the Daily is saying–that the right way to approach the “rape culture” on campus is not via campus carry, but “preventative programs that challenge rigid gender roles and promote healthy relationships.”

The paper also suggests programs that teach bystanders to be active in helping people being raped or assaulted. But it does not say what an unarmed bystander is supposed to do when a criminal with a gun is on a gun-free campus holding an unarmed woman at gunpoint while raping her.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.