Rep. Steve Russell (R-OK), a conservative and retired Army Lt. Colonel before his election to Congress, has been battling Obamatrade misinformation put forward by House Ways and Means Committee chairman Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), sources on Capitol Hill confirm to Breitbart News.
On Wednesday morning, for instance, Russell found himself on the front lines questioning the twisted logic House Republican leadership—particularly Ryan—have put forward to push Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) to fast-track the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP), Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (T-TIP) and Trade in Services Agreement (TiSA), among other highly secretive trade deals.
Russell, one aide said, “asked a question during a meeting with GOP Conference questioning why the Republicans were willing to give in to Democrat concessions to the President when it comes to trade discussions.”
Even questioning Ryan’s push has proven itself to a miraculous feat for members on the Hill—especially on this—since they are ridiculed, mocked and then relentlessly pressured and targeted by leadership’s closely aligned Wall Street interests.
In fact, Boehner-aligned Super PACs have even been targeting Republicans—rather than Democrats—over Obamatrade. Leadership has, sources tell Breitbart News, engaged in personal attacks on members when they inform leadership they’re opposed to the president’s trade agenda and has even enlisted some staffers to try to lobby their members reticent to support a secretive trade deal, even though those members are continually standing up courageously against it.
“Congressman Russell was also seen handing out cards with these following 5 questions on them to members on the floor during votes” on Wednesday afternoon, the source who witnessed Russell’s bravery said.
The five questions Russell told every Republican to ask are:
1. Why are we willing to give the Democrats concessions to give the President something he wants? Especially the concession is entitlement expansion with TAA? Why are we not getting oil and gas exports or border security from the President? We say he won’t negotiate, but we hand over things we fundamentally are trying to reform.
2. Given that the TPP includes a new trans-national commission with a ‘living agreement’ clause, why would we surrender Congressional 2/3 vote checking authority on something that could clearly damage our laws and nation?
3. Since the TPP is more a treaty than a trade deal, what is the constitutional basis for keeping its text hidden from the American people?
4. Why would we want to isolate China, possibly driving them towards Russia, and create Cold War II? Given that the Army’s Chief of Staff, General Odierno, saw a need this week to ease tensions with China, why would we want to incense them when we can’t even protect troop strength and fund our military?
5. Given that even a partial pruning of commercial links or a gradual upsurge in Western protectionism towards China would have profound effects on the world’s well-being, why would we pursue a path that most likely creates tension that could spill over into other areas with devastating consequences?
Russell has also dissected Obamatrade on the House floor, fighting back against the notion that it would somehow help the U.S. economy, in various speeches.
It’s not the first time Russell has found himself fighting against nefarious forces on the front lines. His website notes that after he was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant-Army Infantry after college, he led a 21-year career in the U.S. Army.
“He completed the rigorous U.S. Army Ranger School in Class 11-87, and he deployed to assignments in the Arctic, the desert, the Pacific, Europe and Continental U.S. stations,” Russell’s website notes.
Operationally, he was deployed to Kosovo, Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Iraq. During Operation Iraqi Freedom, Russell commanded the 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry and conducted combat in Tikrit, Iraq. His unit played a key role in the capture of Saddam Hussein, which is documented in his book, We Got Him! A Memoir of the Hunt and Capture of Saddam Hussein. Russell completed a master’s degree in history from the Command and General Staff College. Before retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel, Russell earned the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star with Valor Device, and Oak Leaf Cluster.
As Obamatrade heads to the final battle on the House floor on Friday, Russell may just notch up another victory for the United States of America. And it’s worth noting, too, he’s not the only veteran in Congress fighting against Obamatrade: Rep. Ryan Zinke (R-MT), an ex-Navy SEAL Commander, is also publicly battling the secret trade deal.