GOP presidential candidate and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee is criticizing liberal policies pertaining to sanctuary cities, following the shooting death of a woman in San Francisco, allegedly by a five time deported illegal immigrant.
Huckabee says the country must address the growing problem of illegal immigration.
In regard to the San Francisco killing, Huckabee’s press release stated this “tragedy never should have happened and reckless policy is to blame.”
“The horrible policies that have created sanctuary cities are a symptom of President Obama’s broader policy decision to ignore existing laws and issue radical unconstitutional executive orders that provide amnesty to the most dangerous illegal aliens,” Huckabee said. “What most people don’t realize is that existing laws provide more than enough leeway for the Executive branch to get the illegal immigration crisis under control.”
Huckabee vowed that as president, he would use his pen and phone to get illegal immigration under control.
He said he would take the following six actions, which are permitted under the Constitution:
- Ending Obama’s Catch and Release policy. This would increase arrests, detentions and deportations of illegal aliens, particularly those who have joined gangs and committed serious crimes against Americans.
- Using all powers of the presidency to deny federal funding to sanctuary cities and work with Congress to do the same.
- Designating Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations.
- Securing the border in the first year of my term.
- Reversing President Obama’s unconstitutional executive amnesty.
- Making sure that left-wing activists in the immigration courts no longer undercut enforcement of immigration laws.