The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) came out in support of GOP presidential frontrunner Donald Trump’s immigration plan, saying it “puts the horse before the cart.” According to FAIR, Trump’s plan affirms public interest while supporting it through deterrence and enforcement.
FAIR’s statement reads, “Whatever one might think of Donald Trump, his outline for immigration reform, ‘Immigration Reform that Will Make America Great Again,’ is a legitimate plan worthy of serious consideration.”
FAIR is a national nonprofit organization “of concerned citizens who share a common belief that our nation’s immigration policies must be reformed to serve the national interest.” The organization focuses on improving border security, ending illegal immigration and bringing immigration numbers to “traditional rates of about 300,000 a year.”
FAIR argued that following two failed efforts by lawmakers to reform immigration, Trump’s plan realizes, “Real immigration reform puts the needs of working people first – not wealthy globetrotting donors.” FAIR continued, “As one of the three core principles of immigration reform, the plan states clearly that, ‘Any immigration plan must improve jobs, wages and security for all Americans.’”
The organization says Trump’s plan “offers a commonsense combination of deterrence and enforcement” that would safeguard American interests.
FAIR said the three points of immigration reform – “putting the interests of the American people first, removing incentives for people to violate our laws, and enforcing laws against people who do violate them” – has broad public support.
According to FAIR, Trump’s plan “would deter illegal aliens” from entering America and “encourage many who are here to return home” through the following measures:
- Makes E-Verify mandatory for all employers, thereby limiting jobs available to illegal aliens.
- Deters employers from hiring illegal aliens by increasing ICE’s manpower and ability to identify and punish businesses that deny Americans job opportunities.
- Defunds sanctuary jurisdictions, imposing real penalties on state and local governments that protect illegal aliens.
- Ends birthright citizenship, ending a flawed interpretation of the 14th Amendment that encourages and rewards illegal immigration.
FAIR also argues that Trump’s immigration plan “backs up deterrence with real enforcement:”
- It establishes zero tolerance for criminal aliens with special focus on gang members, and imposes real consequences for foreign governments that refuse to accept the return of their citizens.
- Detention for those apprehended entering the U.S. illegally until they are returned home, or establish a valid claim for admission.