Muslim convert Enrique Marquez was charged on Thursday with conspiring to provide material support for crimes of terrorism with San Bernardino terrorist Syed Rizwan Farook in 2011 and 2012 and unlawful purchase of two AR-15 variants used in the December 2 terror attacks Farook and his wife carried out, killing 14 people.
“Mr. Marquez conspired with Mr. Farook to commit vicious attacks, as set forth in today’s charges,” said United States Attorney Eileen M. Decker. She continued:
Even though these plans were not carried out, Mr. Marquez’s criminal conduct deeply affected San Bernardino County, Southern California and the entire United States when the guns purchased by Marquez were used to kill 14 innocent people and wound many others. While there currently is no evidence that Mr. Marquez participated in the December 2 attack or had advance knowledge of it, his prior purchase of the firearms and ongoing failure to warn authorities about Farook’s intent to commit mass murder had fatal consequences. Today’s charges are the result of exceptional work by many prosecutors and law enforcement agencies, and I thank them for their tremendous effort so far in this case.
Marquez was charged on three counts: conspiring to provide material support — himself, a firearm, and an explosive — toward crimes of terrorism; lying in connection with the purchase of firearms, and immigration fraud for a sham marriage with a member of Farook’s family, according to the United States Attorney’s Office, Central District of California.
Breitbart News reported on the connection between muslim convert Marquez — a neighbor and longtime friend of Farook — and claims from Marquez that he and Farook plotted together in 2012.
Assistant Director in Charge David Bowdich of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office said:
Many dedicated law enforcement personnel have worked around the clock and side by side with their Joint Terrorism Task Force partners to gather evidence and build a solid terrorism case against Mr. Marquez over the past two weeks. As we will continue to investigate the facts surrounding the terrible shooting in San Bernardino, we will leave no stone unturned in an effort to deliver answers and justice to the murdered victims and the families they left behind.
Early in the investigation against Marquez, authorities made it a point to say that the purchaser of the firearms used in the December 2 San Bernardino terror attacks was not a suspect in the case. Authorities confirmed this to Breitbart News as the story developed and before they released Marquez’s name as the weapons purchaser in connection with the attacks. Today Marquez has been charged in connection with the terror attacks as well as a prior planned attack.
Last Friday the former mosque of Marquez held a “vigil” that failed to mention terrorism or the name of their former attendee. Breitbart News reported on the greater emphasis that was placed on accusations of Islamophobia and prejudice.
News broke early on Thursday of the impending charges and arrest of Marquez.
Follow Michelle Moons on Twitter @MichelleDiana