A 17-year-old hairdresser suspected of carrying out a vicious attack at a Michigan hair salon has been arrested Wednesday after the victim, who patronized her salon, shared her story.
Oak Park Police said the victim, accompanied by her mother, filed charges against the 17-year-old suspect, who police charged with battery and assault, WJBK reports.
“It’s not tolerated in our community, nor should it be tolerated in society,” Oak Park Police Chief Lt. Troy Taylor said.
The arrest comes two weeks after a viral video of the attack surfaced, leading to the Oak Park salon’s closure.
The video showed the female victim getting her hair done before the hairdresser allegedly sucker punched the client.
The fighting continued while a woman dressed in green let the victim know that “this beating is for Mike” before the video ended a few seconds later.
Once the recording had been shared on Facebook, it gained thousands of views. But those views came with a price for the tenants—the owner of the building evicted the salon, Gifted Hands Beauty Bar, from the building.
“With the end result here of someone being criminally charged and the prevalence of social media being out there it’s very hard to get away with some of these things,” Taylor said.
Police say the suspect will be charged as an adult even though she is only 17 years old.
Other hairdressers have faced consequences for going berserk against their customers. A Norwegian hairdresser who allegedly threw a woman out of her salon for wearing a hijab faced a six-month prison sentence for discrimination.