Peter Navarro is among the senior administration officials participating in this week’s round of trade talks with Chinese officials, according to an administration official.
An earlier report from Bloomberg news cited two administration officials who claimed that White House trade adviser and noted China hawk Navarro had been cut out of the negotiations.
— Saleha Mohsin (@SalehaMohsin) May 16, 2018
That was disputed by a White House official and one other person briefed on the matter. Navarro will, in fact, be participating in the talks, according to the administration official who was contacted after the Bloomberg report was published.
“Senior officials who will be participating include NEC Chair Larry Kudlow and trade advisers Peter Navarro and Everett Eissenstat,” an administration official told Breitbart News.
Bloomberg reported that White House trade adviser Peter Navarro was sidelined from the talks in part because of recent behavior that anonymous administration officials describe as “erratic and unprofessional.”
“The officials said Navarro wasn’t a team player when the U.S. sent a delegation led by Mnuchin earlier this month to Beijing to meet with Liu,” according to Bloomberg.
Navarro has been targeted in the past by administration officials who are uncomfortable with his strong stand on Chinese trade issues. Last year, some White House economic advisers sought to keep Navarro away from the president until Trump reportedly began asking for him during high level meetings.
Navarro could not be reached for comment.