Veteran singer Rod Stewart said he was “devastated” that a dose of the flu would prevent him attending his old group’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this weekend.
“Unfortunately Rod is battling the flu this week and regrettably he is unable to accept his induction in person in Cleveland,” said a joint statement with the event organizers posted on his website.
“I’m absolutely devastated,” Stewart said. “Shattered that I’m going to miss my second induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — and this time alongside my mates.”
Stewart, 67, was to be included in the Hall of Fame for his work with “Faces,” the band he fronted before becoming a solo artist.
He was included in the Hall of Fame in his own right in 1994.
“Faces,” would still perform a short set after they are inducted, with Simply Red’s Mick Hucknall singing vocals.
“He’s a friend of the band and has played with them before. We are thrilled that Mick dropped everything to hop on a plane to be here to play with Faces on Saturday night,” the statement said.
Stewart became the second star to bow out of this year’s induction ceremony after Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose earlier this week said he did not wish to be included with his former band mates.
Other artists due to be inducted include members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Beastie Boys.