Sensei turned out to be right on the money with his latest film essay predicting “Skyfall’s” success. As Thanksgivingdawns, Sensei weighs in on the newcomers trying to pull a holiday win.
Sensei’s predictions for the holiday/weekend go as follows.
1. “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part Two” - Many new films will challenge, but the result will be the same. This final franchise installment will easily win turkey week. $44 million (Fri-Sun), $65 million (Wed-Sun).
2. “Skyfall” - James Bond faces quite a challenge for the runner-up position. Look for a close battle with “Rise of the Guardians.” $30 million (Fri-Sun), $40 million (Wed-Sun).
3. “Rise of the Guardians“ – Film may have “The Muppets”-like appeal, but Bond can be quite formidable himself. $29 million (Fri-Sun), $40 million (Wed-Sun)
4. “Lincoln” - Steven’sSpielberg’s latest will post the most impressive hold of the week. Filmcontinues to prosper off Oscar buzz, and more importantly, high marks fromaudiences. $19 million (Fri-Sun), $25 million (Wed-Sun)
5. “Red Dawn” - Thisremake of the 1984 cult classic carries a lot of firepower with ChrisHemsworth at the helm. Expect a solid opening that surprises Hollywoodand film critics alike. $15 million (Fri-Sun), $23 million (Sun-Wed).
In other calls:
Look for “Life of Pi” to bring in around $22 million for the five-day frame (Wed-Sun) while “Silver Linings Playbook” will barely register on anyone’s film radar with only $5.7 million (Wed-Sun).
That’s Sensei’s calls. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.