Last week threw all sorts of uncertainty into the box office. Can Sensei make sense of the chaos?
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. “Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters” ($19 Million) -The film’s concept is just crazy enough to work. The pairing of JeremyRenner and Gemma Arterton also looks to be pretty strong. If any filmcan shake the late January blues this weekend, it’s this one.
2. “Mama” ($15 Million) -Will post the usual horror film second weekend drop. Such drops usuallyend up around around 50 percent of their opening weekend.
3. “Zero Dark Thirty” ($9.8 Million) -As noted in previous editions, film will continue on a “The Help”-likebox office pace. Sadly, the torture controversy surrounding the film will cost the film the Best Picture Oscar, but its boxoffice remains impressively strong (will draw closer to the $70 milliondomestic mark). Not bad for a film with a production budget of only $40million.
4. “Parker” ($8.4 Million) – JasonStatham’s films in January aren’t exactly box office trailblazers.January outing, “The Mechanic” (over 2,700+). Going with lower resultshere.
5. “Movie 43” ($7.5 Million) – Talkabout a hard sell. An R-rated raunch fest with nopredetermined plot-line. The film’s cast boasts plenty of names but notreally any clear concept direction. Basically, a mash-up of skits puttogether with different film directors. Definitely going with the loweropening here.
That’s Sensei’s calls.