Last week gave Sensei a strong finish to the month. His Januaryprediction accuracy puts him at the top of prediction sites. Not bad.
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. “Warm Bodies” ($22 million) -Super Bowl weekend usually destroys new film releases. Warm Bodies does have momentum with its great marketing and a welcome changeof pace for the zombie genre. There’s enough positive buzz here to equallast year’s Chronicle opening ($22 million). Still, finishinganywhere the $20 million mark on Super Bowl weekend would be impressive.
2. “Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters” ($9.2 million) – Super Bowl weekend will not be kind to this one. Film will easily suffer a drop more than 50 percent off last weekend’s opening.
3. “Silver Linings Playbook” ($7.3 million) -This sleeper hit snuck its way into the top five the last couple of weeks.Jennifer Lawrence will again add another top five finish to her boxoffice resume.
4. “Zero Dark Thirty” ($6.5 million) – It’sa shame this film’s Best Picture Oscar chances have gone the way of Osama binLaden himself (done and done). Still, film will be comforted in pullingmore impressive box office numbers this weekend.
5. “Bullet to the Head” ($6.3 million) – SylvesterStallone returns in this action vehicle, but marketing has been stale.Adding to the film’s troubles is no recognizable co-stars to helpstrengthen its box office core. Going with lower results here.
In other calls:
Despitebeing on only 450 theaters, look for Al Pacino and Christopher Walken’s Stand Up Guys to pull in around $1.7 million for the weekend.
And as for the Super Bowl itself — 49ers 34, Ravens 24.
That’s Sensei’s calls. Enjoy the game.