1. House of Cards: This just-released (all 13 episodes) Netflix original series might be the most damning look at elected Democrats and their media allies since HBO’s “The Wire.” There are no sucker-punches directed at the Right; just a wonderful feast of left-wing self-loathing for we “wingers” to sit back and enjoy. It’s also a pretty good, though not great, show — though much better than Showtime’s ridiculously melodramatic and over-hyped “Homeland.” (Here’s my “Cards” review.)
2. Lilyhammer: Though Netflix didn’t produce this wonderful fish-out-water dramedy starring Steve Van Zandt as an American Mafioso transferred to the wilds of Norway, it did bring one of the most conservative series you’ll ever see to the States. (Here’s my rave review, which the show’s creators did not seem to appreciate.)
To be clear, I don’t think Netflix is intentionally producing or acquiring high-quality programming aimed at conservatives. What I do think, however, is that this is an entertainment giant with an open mind– which is all we can ask for.
3. Save Money In Obama’s Failed Economy: Right now you can purchase Netflix Streaming for the ridiculously low price of just $7.99 per month. There’s a ton of programming to watch and, better yet, to discover. This is probably the best deal for anything ever produced in the history of the world. Not everything you want is streaming. But I promise that if you give it a chance, you’ll find some wonderful television you never knew existed. There’s previous seasons of many hot shows (“Mad Men,” “Breaking Bad,” “Sons of Anarchy,” “Walking Dead,” etc.) and series we all love from the likes of Discovery and the History Channel.
4. Netflix Might Kill Fascist, Left-wing Cable TV: The fascist monopoly that is bundled (and satellite) cable — where you’re forced to pay ten-times the Netflix Streaming subscription price for dozens of channels you don’t watch — artificially props up dozens of channels hostile to the Right. These channels (MSNBC, CNN, OWN, LOGO, Sundance, etc.) would never survive if forced to survive off their low-ratings or ala carte subscription fees. Instead, Hollywood makes billions off these failed networks thanks to “user fees” paid by tens of millions of conservatives forced into subsidizing trash openly hostile to who we are.
People who move from cable to online television are known as cord-cutters, and right now cord-cutters are the biggest threat to Hollywood since the invention of television. That’s not hyperbole. That’s a fact.
5. Netflix Doesn’t Pollute the Culture: Unlike broadcast and cable television — where your kid flips around to one soul-killing, left-wing, narcissist-enabling program after another — Netflix is set up with superb parental controls for when you’re away. But when you’re home and together as a family, you now have the opportunity to raise your kids on the kind of television that won’t prematurely destroy their innocence (Gee, Dad, why are those two men necking?), give them ADD, or brainwash them into America-hating, godless Leftists who think narcissism is a value.
I’m not just talking about “Leave It to Beaver,” (which is available and charming) but all kinds of programming past and present that will either fit your values or simply entertain without forcing Hollywood’s valueless values upon you and yours.
I promise that you’ll also discover that a ton of old shows the current Guardians of Pop Culture write off as corny, dull, and stuffy, are in reality, ridiculously engaging and entertaining.
“Alfred Hitchock Presents” is spellbinding; “Adam-12″ grabs hold of your attention and never lets go; “The Danny Thomas Show” is absolutely hilarious; “The Rockford Files” is just plain-old brilliant; and there’s an ocean of imported programming (especially from England) that you’ll find yourselves lost in.
And that’s just the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg.
I don’t know anyone at Netflix, and I pay from my service just like everyone else.
All I’m saying is that if Netflix is the future (and I think it is), we’re in for a much brighter future in Pop Culturedom.
P.S. Don’t worry, Lefties, you’ll find plenty of programming to destroy your children with. All the toxic junk to alchemize the wee ones into godless, tree-hugging, State-worshipping, lazy little selfish abortion-advocates and STD survivors just like you is aplenty. So knock yourselves out.
Follow John Nolte on Twitter @NolteNC