Last week, Sensei was dead on with his call on Riddick. His prediction made the other prediction sites take notice. This week, look for some solid openers.
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results are as follows:
1. “Insidious: Chapter 2” ($35 million) – The horror genre remains very strong right now, and this sequel taps perfectly into the buzz that made The Conjuring summer’s mega horror hit. Both films also carry the same director(James Wan). Mr. Wan knows full well the power of “old school scares,”and this film’s packed with them. Look for a solid start.
2. “The Family” ($14 million) – Film hopes to tap into what made Red such a box office success. Problem is compiling just how much juice is left in the action comedy genre. Even Red 2opened lower than expected last summer. Still, Robert DeNiro seems athome here and carries a strong supporting cast. Look for a respectablestart.
3. “Riddick” ($9.6 million)– Film may not be the franchise’s highest earner, but this sci-fiproject is breathing much needed life into the usual sub-par Septemberframe. The frame could use more momentum considering how unimpressiveAugust was (outside of We’re The Millers, anyway).
4. “The Butler” ($5.6 million) – Easily one of the best races this weekend. We’re The Millers has been catching up to Butler, and could jump it this weekend. It all comes down to who can pull a better mid-Saturday result. This one will be fun to watch.
5. “We’re The Millers” ($5.2 million) – Film is already August’s highest grosser, but has its sights set on overtaking Butler. Last weekend saw the two films finish within a million of each other.
In other calls:
Don’t overlook Instructions Not Included, which can also pull another top five finish.
Those are Sensei’s calls. Enjoy the weekend.